- This event has passed.
Confronting Racism as Journalists
February 8 @ 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Please join us as we host a timely panel discussion about what responsibility the news media has to confront racism. When should journalists call something racist?
The panelists are:
Helen Ubinas, an award-winning columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Daily News and philly.com. She previously wrote for Hartford Courant as the newspaper’s first Latina news columnist.
Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, an essayist for NBC Asian America and contributor to PRI Public Radio International. She is a well traveled speaker and educator on issues of diversity, race, culture and the arts.
Kevin B Blackistone, a columnist for the Washington Post, commentator on ESPN’s ‘Around the Horn,’ and a professor of the practice at Philip Merrill College of Journalism – UMD
The moderator is Marie Shanahan, UConn Assistant Professor of Journalism.
The event is free and open to the public. It will be held in the Wilbur Cross building, North Reading Room starting at 5 p.m.
A coffee reception with the panelists will precede the event at 4:30 p.m.
The discussion will also be livestreamed on UConn Journalism’s Facebook page.
Among the questions panelists will address:
– How should race/racism be covered by mainstream news organizations?
– How does newsroom diversity (or lack thereof) affect coverage of race/racism?
– How do the experiences of journalists of color in covering race/racism differ?
– Can a journalist of color personally confront racism and not be perceived to be crossing a line — such as what happened last September with ESPN’s Jemele Hill on Twitter?
– How can journalists and news organizations effectively convene difficult public conversations about racism?
– Are news organizations acting like “uninvolved bystanders” amid acts of racism in the public square of online comments/social media?
– How can journalists report and write about people of color, diverse cultures and communities without perpetuating racist stereotypes?
This event is sponsored by UConn Journalism and UConn’s Together: Confronting Racism Steering Committee.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org