- This event has passed.
Push has Come To Shove – Getting Our Kids the Education They Deserve
June 24 @ 10:00 am - June 25 @ 4:00 pm EDT
It goes without saying, the Covid-19 pandemic has created new norms in public education. As a result, failing children can no longer be a viable option. We MUST center children in public education and offer expanded schooling options and programs to include summer learning and before and after school.
This CT Parents Union two day parent and community organizing retreat is a “rapid response” “train the trainer ” event designed to help ensure diverse, well informed and engaged teams of parent and community leaders, throughout the state and country, are ready out the gate, from all school models, to stand up for and with all children – especially our most vulnerable and early childhood.
Snippet of our Agenda
Welcome Video: Commissioner Charlene Russel -Tucker State Department of Education
Keynote Speakers and Guest Presenters :
Dr. Steve Perry, Founder of Capital Prep Schools; Educator I Author I Speaker I TV Host – Connecticut
King Randall, Founder of “X” Boys; New Life Preparatory School for Boys – Georgia
Sarah Carpenter, Executive Director of Memphis Lift – Tennessee
Tremayne Hayme, Nashville Parent Educational Advocate – Tennessee
Hands on and Participatory Train the Trainer Retreat Objectives:
1. Learn and/or build upon foundational tools needed to increase parent and community engagement for systematic change in our homes, schools, and community.
2. Create a plan to build social and political capital to impact public policies and programming at the classroom, school, district, and local, state, and federal levels.
3. Develop and/or strengthen leadership through parent and community organizing.
4. Develop a framework and a theory of action for a statewide Rapid Response Network of parents and community leaders.
5. Gain a deeper understanding of POWER. Moving from just being Empowered to IN power!
6. How to use Social Media to Build Collective Power. (Bring your laptops, tablets, and/or smartphones to ensure the best experience!)
7. Why voting for candidates that stand for children matters?